Tools to search, compare and plot airfoils.
Search for airfoils available on the web or in online databases, filtering by thickness and camber with preview images of the airfoil sections.
Download the dat file data in various formats or use the dat file data in the tools.
Links to the original data source for more information.
View the airfoil details page with polar diagrams for a range of Reynolds numbers.
View and plot a full size plan of the airfoil to your chord width.
The camber, thickness can be adjusted and the pitch set to allow for wing angle of attack, wash out or wind turbine blade angle.
The SVG (Scalar Vector Graphics) plan can be printed out full size or over multiple pages for large sections.
Plots two or more airfoils on the same plan for shape comparison.
The plan can be downloaded or printed full size for better resolution.
Compare lift and drag polar diagrams for a range of Reynolds numbers.
Add your own airfoils so they can be used in the tools.
Paste the dat file data into a form and the airfoil will be available to use in the drop down menus.
There are many sources of airfoil data or the sections can be generated using tools.
Currently the airfoils are only stored in your browser session and will need to be added
when the browser is re-opened
Generate NACA 4 digit airfoil sections to your own specification and use them in the airfoil comparison and plotter.
Create NACA 5 digit airfoil sections to your own specification for use with the tools.
Check the Reynolds number range of your wing or blade so you can select the most suitable polar diagrams.
These applications were first developed as scripts when I wanted to cut ribs and foam cores for some wind turbines I was making.
The plotter was first published on www.windandwet.com
where it became the most requested page used by RC model aircraft, wind turbine and yacht designers.
It went through a number updates, often requested by users.
When the search and comparison functions were added I decided it would be better as a stand alone web site and AirfoilTools.com was born.
- Additional xfoil polars at new Ncrit values with changes to filter polars by Reynolds number and Ncrit
- Added the 'halo' option to the airfoil plotter to draw a line parallel to the airfoil envelop for wing covering or construction templates.
- Added the NACA 5 digit airfoil generator
- Added the Reynolds number calculator
- Added the NACA 4 digit airfoil generator
- Polar details page showing table of lift & drag coefficients and original polar file.
- Added NACA 0012H airfoil. A modified NACA 0012 for vertical axis wind turbines (VAWT)
- A range of Joukowski symmetrical airfoils.
- Validation of user added airfoils less rigourous.
- Polar diagrams for most airfoils generated using Xfoil.